Hello all! I found an interesting word document on my computer, and I thought I would share it here. I have not edited it at all, and was written on September 2014.
Hope you will enjoy this deeper explanation of my world.
Here it goes:
Let’s call Fantasy woods the place where my characters come from. There’s a mix of both human and fantasy creatures that live together in our world. It’s not a very original set up and the story is not that great, but it will make easier to understand some doll’s profiles.
About the fantasy creatures that live in the forests and desolated areas of the world, there are a few things you might need to know:
- Humans in the present time have no knowledge of creatures lurking in nature. Some people might believe, but most think of them as just superstitions. We will call these creatures guardians or protectors (of nature).
- In the past, both human and guardians worked together and acknowledge each other’s importance to the balance of the world.
- To become a guardian you have to receive “the call”. If you accept it, your human body dies before you return to nature as a living being.
- In the past people believed that all children that died became guardians, since they were the purest of souls. Although many children did, many more never got the call.
- The requisites to get the call are uncertain. It is said a pure soul, a warm heart and an open mind, besides a true love and respect for nature could be enough, but that’s probably superstition.
- Guardians cannot die of sickness or old age, they start becoming one with nature until there’s nothing human in them besides their mind and soul. Some turn into trees, some into animals that can live forever, if humans let them.
- The age of a guardian is uncertain, but you can tell how old are they depending on how much they resemble that they feel more attached to (mermaids, for example, are guardians that feel attached to the sea, while centaurs feel horses as their kindred spirits).
- Guardians’ magic is not a powerful one, but they can make changes to the weather, or change the current of a river if needed, help wounded animals to heal.
- There’s a few rules you might need to know if you ever step in the deep of a forest: never get on an abandoned boat at the shore of a river, never take a fruit from a tree without asking for permission first and never trust the paths between the trees, just follow the stars and the sun and you will get home.
- The call has been uncommon in the present. One of the few persons that have been called in present times was Lucas’s mother, but she rejected it twice: the first time Lucas was a newborn so she wanted to raise him: the second she was sick and dying, but she wanted to be with his son all the time she had left in this world.
About the place were all my human characters live, it’s a small village surrounded mostly by forests. It takes a few hours in a car to get to the nearest city.
This is a place where some old superstitions still live, everyone knows the rules of the forest, but very few follow them. Older people still tell stories of guardians that they saw when they were little, tales of guardians falling in love of humans, of enchantments and people that visited their underworld and went crazy.